- 4 free-range chicken thighs
- 4 free-range chicken drumsticks
- 500ml buttermilk
- flavorless oil, e.g. sunflower or groundnut, for deep-frying
- 300g plain flour
- 1–2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1–2 tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken in a bowl, add the buttermilk and a good pinch of salt and mix well. Cover with cling film and chill overnight, or for at least 30 minutes. Bring back to room temperature before cooking
- Once ready to cook, pour a 1.5cm depth of oil into a heavy-based saute pan or hob-proof casserole dish. Place over a medium heat until the oil reaches 170ºC or a cube of bread dropped into the oil sizzles and turns brown after 30 seconds.
- Put the flour on a plate and mix with the spices and a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk, shaking off any excess, then dip in the flour, making sure all sides are coated.
- Fry the chicken in a single layer (you might need to do it in batches), turning constantly for 25–30 minutes, until evenly golden. Drain on kitchen paper and serve warm.